2017 Emergency Preparedness Rule,
you will be out of compliance in exactly:
Contact Firestorm Subject Matter Expert Kevin McIntyre
CMS Rule Ready Overview sessions will provide a high-level overview of the rule and explain resources available for next steps.
We will explore the final rule requirements for Medicare and Medicaid participating providers and suppliers to meet the following four common and well known industry best practice standards.
- Emergency plan: Based on a risk assessment, develop an emergency plan using an all-hazards approach focusing on capacities and capabilities that are critical to preparedness for a full spectrum of emergencies or disasters specific to the location of a provider or supplier.
- Policies and procedures: Develop and implement policies and procedures based on the plan and risk assessment.
- Communication plan: Develop and maintain a communication plan that complies with both Federal and State law. Patient care must be well-coordinated within the facility, across health care providers, and with State and local public health departments and emergency systems.
- Training and testing program: Develop and maintain training and testing programs, including initial and annual trainings, and conduct drills and exercises or participate in an actual incident that tests the plan.
The Rule is nuanced however; the standards are adjusted to reflect the characteristics of each type of provider and supplier. For example:
- Outpatient providers and suppliers such as Ambulatory Surgical Centers and End-Stage Renal Disease Facilities will not be required to have policies and procedures for provision of subsistence needs.
- Hospitals, Critical Access Hospitals, and Long Term Care facilities will be required to install and maintain emergency and standby power systems based on their emergency plan.
Webinar Schedule – all sessions are from 12-1 p.m. ET:
- August 16, 2017
- August 28, 2017
- September 13, 2017
- September 25, 2017
- October 11, 2017
- October 23, 2017
- November 8 , 2017
- November 13, 2017
- November 27, 2017
*INFORMATIVE SESSIONS ARE FOR HEALTHCARE ORGANIZATIONS AFFECTED BY THE CMS EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS RULE ONLY